Saturday, April 19, 2014

Quest X-15 Build, Before Part 8, Fin Gluing - Warning!

From a question on TRF:
Originally Posted by Bill
I bought this kit soon after it came out. There was discussion about a problem with the fin marking template or something. Anybody remember any details?
Bill
My response:
I remember reading something about this.
When I did the blog build, I didn't use the kit marking guide.
I just made one out of folded paper.
I just tried the kit marking guide to see what was in question.

It fits the tube circumference very well, but -
If you look at the picture, the fin guide is actually split into five fin positions.
Four are marked with arrows, the fifth position would be where the edges of the marking guide meet.

The two rudder fins and two strakes should be glued at a standard 90 degree cruciform.
If you marked the tube with the kit guide the fins would be off.

So - 
Don't use the fin marking guide supplied with the X-15 kit or the X-15 parts pack!

2 comments:

  1. I just purchased the X-15 parts pack from Quest and they have fixed the fin marking guide in the instruction manual. Looking forward to building this model using the blog as a guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eero,
    Glad to hear they fixed the marking guide.
    That parts pack is only "partial". You still need:
    12" or 15" Parachute, 2" Launch Lug, 135 lb. Kevlar, Elastic shock Cord, Engine Hook, BT-20/35mm Centering Rings, .25 oz. Clay Weight, Engine Block, Motor Mount Tube, 35mm Quest tube, 11" or 13"

    The most valuable parts are the nose cone and decals.

    ReplyDelete