Saturday, April 19, 2014

Quest X-15 Finished











Quest did a good job capturing the feel of the X-15.
Even with the longer body tube its a good looking sport scale model.
Adding .25 oz. of nose weight it should be stable even with a C6-5 engine.
I've had this one on my build list for a while.
For now Quest has X-15 parts packs available, the decals were the hardest to find.
The gloss black paint sure shows fingerprints!

The Quest face card states the finished model weighs 1.69 oz.
My finished model weighs 2.45 oz. I did add .25 oz. of clay to the nose, the body tube is 2" longer and there is a card stock wrap inside the end of the body tube for a better fit of the nose cone. I tend to lay on the filler and paint heavier than most.
Unless it's a RTF, most finished models always seem to weigh more than the face card or catalog pages say.

EDIT: The Quest X-15 (stretched and with clay weight as shown) has flown twice now with a Estes B6-4 and C6-5. Both great, stable flights.

7 comments:

  1. Nice looking bird! Heads up Estes has sales again for Easter....look for the eggs ....D-Region Tomahawk $9.99

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Metalhead!
    I saw another Estes sale is on. I agree, great pricing on the kits.
    But, I have so many in the build pile I won't be buying any more for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likewise ... I need to get back to the build table myself..kits just waiting ...kits framed and un painted ...ect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,

    Good looking bird.
    If I had to build mine again, I would work the wing into the strake as a one piece unit.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Daniel,
    Estes had a builders X-15 for a while, not the RTF plastic one. It had fairing strakes made from cardstock. The plans should be online but I can't find them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just priced out the Parts for the x15 and the parts bag. The darn shipping is what hurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown,
      I agree! There have been a few times where I didn't order something because of the shipping costs.

      Delete