Thursday, April 10, 2014

Vashon Valkyrie 2 on Ebay


This one brought me back!
I bid on this one - up to $150.00, that's a lot for me.
I didn't get it, the winning bid was over $281.00.
This is a rare one, unbuilt with launcher and propellant.
This was the longer Valkyrie 2, the Valkyrie 1 was shorter.

I ordered the same package from the Sears catalog back in 1970 for $19.95. That included the rocket, launcher base and rod, a can of RP-100 propellant and manual or electric launching.
The manual launch was simply pulling out the plug from the nozzle. You were right next to the model!
The electric launch burned through a wire that held the nozzle plug in place.
With the shiny aluminum body, Vashon rockets were impressive!

Back then, these were the the only flying rockets you could (easily) buy in California. You needed a big piece of property and special permit to buy BP engines.

8 comments:

  1. That would be a great score. I'd love to have that.

    I was privy to witness a few successful Vashon flights back in the day. (I recall those were on hot, sunny days in Southern California).
    A favorite rocket memory of mine.

    HB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HB,
    And you did have to fly these on hot sunny days! If it was too cold, Freon was a self refrigerant and the rocket wouldn't get any altitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly correct. I later got a Vashon Sergeant missile kit for a gift. Of course I flew mine on a cold winter day. I recall I got about 5 feet altitude off the rod. Good stuff.

    HB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a valkyrie flying model kit number 801 still in the box with all its parts is it worth anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, It's hard to say what it might be worth, the sale price varies on Ebay. Email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and maybe we could work something out -

      Delete
  5. I am getting one of these tomorrow but the fuel cans are a tad rusty, will they be safe to transport and store until I use it? from what I can see, the rust on the fuel cans is only surface rust....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown,
      I wouldn't risk using the old Vashon cans. It is Freon, who knows the shelf life? Freon was outlawed years back because it breaks down the ozone layer. A few have launched the Vashon style models using air brush propellant. The rubber seals in your old Vashon rocket may not be good.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Chris, it sadly seems to be missing the fuel line connector from the can to the rocket which is a bugger! I thought it had never been used but it has....

      Delete