Monday, July 7, 2014

A Gift from Bill G!



You meet great people at club launches.
This is Bill Gibson. I met him at a Tampa TTRA launch a few years ago.
A great builder and flyer.
Bill was the first person I'd seen that marked the engine designation on the igniter tape.
A practice I use every time I prep a rocket. CLICK HERE


When I got home from Mexico there was a package in my overstuffed mailbox.
Bill made a display stand for my Quest Stiletto.
This stand seems to be made from aluminum. The base is polished, the vertical piece is sandblasted.
The black tube is machined plastic and fits a 24mm engine mount perfectly.


In addition to just looking cool - 
The polished aluminum even matches the metallic silver paint on the Stiletto!
If Shrox ever saw this (the designer of the Quest Stiletto) he would agree it's a perfect combination.
Thanks Bill! This made my day.

3 comments:

  1. Chris, Thanks so much for the kind words! Im very glad you like it! I had alot of fun makin it! I must say that it does make your Stiletto look kinda..........SPEEDY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta ask...why mark the engine on the ignitor tape?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I prep my models a few days before the launch. By the time the launch day rolls around I might forget which engine I have in the model.
    Even with an engine hook sometimes the engines get a wrap of tape. Without pulling out the engine, I can tell what's in the rocket.
    Years ago, the Centuri engines had the engine designation printed around the nozzle end of the engine. MPC had a engine power color band around the back you could see with the engine installed.
    I wish Estes and Quest should print the engine type around the 1/4" that always sticks out the back end of the model.
    I've sent the suggestion to Estes two years ago but didn't got a reply.

    ReplyDelete