Monday, August 4, 2014

Launch, Schoolyard Soccer Field, August 3, 2014

The Orlando R.O.C.K. launch was cancelled yesterday. The field was flooded. 
I prepped some smaller rockets and headed over to the schoolyard.

When I was setting up the launcher I noticed a man slowly running around the edge of the soccer field.
He yelled over to me: "Excuse me sir, could you wait five minutes before you start? I'm a combat vet and those rockets sound like incoming fire. Flashbacks are not a good thing for me."
I said: "Sure, no problem! Thank you for your service."
He gave me a quick salute and finished up his lap. I waited until he was in his car and driving away before connecting up the micro clips.


With all the repairs I make, I appreciate the few models I can't bust up.
The Quest VIPER went up first with a Quest A6-4.
I didn't shake out or dust the parachute before launching. It ejected but stayed in a wad. No melts, just sticky. No damage.
Estimated altitude, 300 ft.
After this flight, every rocket got an opened parachute and talcum power.




The best flight of the morning - 
The Odd'l Rockets LITTLE GREEN MAN (2nd prototype) had a perfect boost with an Estes B6-4 to about 300'.
Very straight, no turns during ascent.
The 12" parachute deployed at apogee bringing it down with no damage.
We're getting close to kitting these up!


The flight worn Quest RAPTOR had it's tenth flight with a Estes B6-4.
Boost and ejection looked good. Landing, not so much.
Another red "antenna" piece broke off the smaller fins when it touched down. Estimated altitude, 300'.
This one has had so many pieces break off I'm surprised I'm still flying it.
My favorite FlisKits MMX HONEST JOHN flew with a first generation MicroMaxx I engine. This were the older brown plastic casing with the "nozz-hole"
The more recent MMX engines have a black fish paper case and clay nozzle.
Perfect flight - fast off the pad with a 90' altitude.

The Estes NIKE APACHE flew with a Quest B6-4.
This was a HOT Quest engine, the boost and altitude looked more like an Estes C6! I would guess it got to 425', too high for this small field.
As it drifted to the Southeast, I kept saying out loud: "Stay in the field, stay in the field!"
It landed just this side of the brick wall with no damage.

Five up, five recovered with little repairs. A good start for Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment