Thursday, August 14, 2014

Picture Dowel - TIP

Anytime I take a finished picture of a rocket, I've just used a painting dowel in the engine mount. The dowel always had a coat of paint from the last model I painted.
I decided to make a dedicated photo dowel used only for the finished pictures.

A 1/2" dowel fits a standard used engine casing pretty well. The dowel might need a wrap of tape for a friction fit.

In the picture at the right, the upper 2 3/8" of the dowel was masked off.
The dowel got  a shot of primer/filler and was sanded smooth.

These are the same colors is use on the Dr. Zooch flame fins. Look up any launch pictures online. You'll find the colors go from a bright white to yellow to gray.
In the upper picture I marked the tape for a visual reference showing where the back end of the engine mount would be.

White was sprayed first. Yellow was applied second and gray third.
Hold the stick vertically when spraying and allow the colors to evenly blend.

Before the casing was set in place, the nozzle was knocked out and 1/4" was cut off the end.
With the casing now at 2 1/2" long it will sit in the mount farther and out of view for the pictures.

The edges were rounded off for an easier slip fit in the mount.







This looks much better!
Now if I could figure out a way to make smoke.

4 comments:

  1. I have found that the paper cross brace from a pant hanger that you get from the dry cleaner is a perfect fit inside a standard motor case or inside a 13mm motor mount. I use them as paint sticks instead of wooden dowels. They are a perfect slip fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eero,
    I'll have to try that out for a painting wand.
    These dowels were made for picture taking only. I'll switch to a dedicated painting stick for spraying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you can print out a picture of actual flames on photo paper and just wrap and glue it around the dowel for some cool photo realism.

    ReplyDelete