Friday, September 19, 2014

Weak Shroud Lines

While building an Estes Patriot I tested the shroud lines on the pre-made 12" parachute. This newer chute was made in China, dated 6/20/2013.
I pulled on the line and it broke - very easily.

I've ran across this before. I wouldn't risk this parachute on a flight so the weak lines will be replaced.
I'll use Coats and Clark Button and Carpet thread for the new lines.
For a 12" chute, three 25" lines were cut.
On the pre-made chutes, check the tied knots at the parachute corners. I've ran across square knots and granny knots.
If the knot slips, it's probably a granny and can come loose on a hard ejection.
If a knot slips, tie an additional overhand knot over the top. That will stop it from coming loose.

Many kit instructions and a few online videos say to simply tie two overhand knots when tying on a shroud line.
Two identical overhand knots will result in a slipping granny knot.
To make a square knot, tie an overhand knot, but reverse the second overhand knot on top. Better yet, check out the Animated Knots website: CLICK HERE




When the lines were removed, I cleaned up the torn holes in the reinforcement rings.
Card stock was set underneath the chute material for a clean punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment