Friday, December 19, 2014

Launch, Soccer Field, December 18, 2014

It was cold by the time I walked over to the Schoolyard field, arriving about 7:30 a.m.
Parachutes will need some dusting with talcum powder to open up.

The (Quest Cobalt) ORANGE was first up to check the system and check for any winds I couldn't feel on the ground.
The Quest A6-4 got it to about 275'.
The parachute is packed into the nose cone, 2/3rds of the NC shoulder base was removed to open it up. I pack the shock cord and Kevlar line in the nose cone first, then the parachute on top of that hoping that the shock cords will pull out the chute. Today it didn't.
It landed easily enough without it but one fin was broken off at the root edge, an easy fix.


The Quest X-15 with an Estes B6-4 is a good fit for this field.
Altitude was about 300' with full chute deploy.
I caught this one before it hit the ground.









I haven't flown the Dr. Zooch TITAN IIIC since June, 2013.
This was my best of the day with an Estes B6-4 reaching approximately 300'.

There was a full garbage bag parachute and another
catch before the flame fins hit the very short grass.







I almost launched the Quest VIPER with a Quest B6-4. This 25mm diameter model would have been lost on this small field.
I switched out the engine for an Estes A10-3t in a adapter.
This 13th flight got to 275' with no damage when I picked it up.

I'm always surprised by how high this stubby, flat nosed model flys.
This is the Custom NOMAD launched today with an Estes B6-4.
Altitude was around 325', an 12" Odd'l parachute brought it down easily.

On the left you can see the nose cone sitting above the body tube end. There's not much room inside and the parachute pushes up the nose cap.
Five up, five recovered. A good start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment