Thursday, January 8, 2015

Before That Next Color Coat - TIP

After sanding and right before color coats - 
Brush down the surface with a soft brush concentrating on the nooks and crannies.

I don't use tack cloths, they can leave a sticky residue on models.
After sanding there can be sanding dust and small bits of paint on the surface. With the naked eye, you won't even see half of the leftover crud.

The soft brush will get rid of paint and dust specks you'd end up seeing on your final finished surface.

3 comments:

  1. I use 3m High Performance microfiber cloth after sanding. Works pretty well, with no stickiness.
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-High-Performance-Cloth-X14-2/dp/B000BN9DKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420737783&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+microfiber+2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a microfiber cloth as well. After a tip from TRF user Krusty, I started dampening the cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol to take any dust off the rocket.

    My last two rockets turned out much shinier than any of my previous builds. I don't know for sure if it had to do with the alcohol rub, but that's the only thing I can think of that I did differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Microfiber cloth is another way to go - whatever works best for you!
    The brush can get into very tight spaces.

    ReplyDelete