Saturday, January 10, 2015

More Reliable Igniter Practice

I still see it a club launches - micro clips connected to the ends of straight igniter wires.
Why not bend the wire ends in a "U" shape?
You'll get twice the micro clip contact and more reliable ignition.

When I got back into rocketry I was still connecting the clips up the wires and as close to the nozzle as I could. That was just how we did it back in the 1970s.

Compared to the older Solar igniters, new igniters have a very thin bridge wire and a close clip connection isn't needed.
TIP: Bend the igniter ends to the side and up so the clips can be connected out and away from the nozzle flame. Your clips will remain cleaner and last much longer!

2 comments:

  1. I've always felt like my igniter clips would be better with small alligator teeth instead of being smooth and flat. The smooth flat ones slip off so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mushtang,
      I'm just the opposite, I like the flat clips better than the alligator toothed micro clips!

      Delete