Tuesday, January 13, 2015

TLP Pershing #K046 Build, Part 4, Fins


The fins and upper built-up fin pieces are cut out of the balsa. There is sheet balsa and strip balsa provided.
You'll need enough parts for the three lower fins and pieces for the upper fin frames.





The upper wedge shaped fins:
I centered and glued the interior support pieces on first.
I thought it would be easier to sand the side pieces flat against the bottom spar afterward.



The tall triangular side pieces were glued on next.
Both sides were squared up with my angle.





I cut duplicate cover pieces from 110 lb. card stock to the same size as the supplied covers.
My first try came up a bit short after folding over the top.
New covers will be cut and be a little longer.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your progress on this one. I've scratch built several Pershings but have yet to get a successful flight out of one. I've considered trying a TLP one so this could help me decide. I wish Estes would bring back the Maxi Brute Pershing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,
      This is certainly not the Estes Pershing! The three piece shroud is workable but very hard to fill the seams.
      Estes is bringing back the 2" diameter Mercury Redstone, maybe the Pershing later on?

      Delete