Wednesday, February 11, 2015

TLP Pershing #K046 Build, Part 32, Really Odd Instruction


A little backtracking . . .
Usually I follow instructions - but not this time.
Step 31 tells you to glue on the fins, let dry then bend them until they break loose.
After the fins are glued on, "You will probably find they have a bit more play than they should. (Mine didn't show any "play" or wiggle.) Bend the fins to one side and the other until they break loose!"

I can understand why you are told to do this. It makes a larger root edge gluing area. I figured there would be more cleaning up, filling and feathering if part of the fin pad were broken off with the fin root.
I didn't want to wiggle and break the upper built up fins. The hollow card stock skin would probably bend.
The fin pads I made are flat and have more root edge glue contact than the kit supplied 1/16" thick pads that curve around the tube contour.

From what I understand, the old Estes Pershing was prone to fin breaks on landing. I can assume there might be some post flight repairs on this Pershing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment