Thursday, April 2, 2015

A Comment About Pershing #K046 Build, Part 44, The Orange Bands - Part B

Sometimes you learn a few things in a rocket build.

I had some research into the Estes kit and the paint patterns on the JimZ website.
To the right is a screen shot of the orange band application. It clearly says: 
"APPLICATION OF WATER-TRANSFER DECAL (A)"

I assumed a water transfer decal was included in the kit. The JimZ scans looked like water slide. I took the easy way out by spray painting some self adhesive sheets and cutting out the strips.

I got a blog comment from Jim:
The orange stripes on the Estes kit were also of the peel and stick type, so the way you're doing them is actually more true to the original than painting them would be. Looks fine to me!

Thanks Jim! I guess I was closer than I thought.
Maybe Estes used water slide decals for the orange bands on one run of kits and self adhesive strips later on. Who knows? I never had an original Estes Pershing kit.
Jim did. His had self adhesive orange trim.

3 comments:

  1. Chris, I did have the Maxi Brute Estes Pershing and I recalled the orange bands being peel and stick, but I could be wrong. The other markings were all water slides. I will have to dig around and see if I can find the old instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found a build thread on the rocketry forum for the Estes Pershing complete with pictures of the kit parts and the orange decals are clearly the peel and sick type. However the author mentions that the instructions describe the stripes as water slides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim,
      I found the TRF build, definitely stick on striping.
      I did an additional post from your information on April 3.

      Delete