Wednesday, April 1, 2015

TLP Pershing #K046 Build, Part 44, The Orange Bands - Part B


The backing was peeled off and the orange strips set in place, the ends against the lower tunnels.

I was concerned about the Avery label paper being advertised with "Ultrahold Adhesive".
It did allow for placement, lifting and re-positioning before being burnished down with a Q-tip.



Why did I use spray painted, self-adhesive label paper?
I didn't feel like doing a complex mask. The chances of paint lifting is bigger when doing tough masks.
The painted adhesive backed paper does have a raised edge. It doesn't bother me. The vertical "U. S. ARMY" will probably be cut from vinyl. The orange color lines are clean.

It might bother a true scale builder, but that's their problem. I'll get it close enough to capture the feel of the old Estes kit.

5 comments:

  1. That's looking really good. It's a lot bigger a rocket than I thought from your previous posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      It is a big rocket! It feels almost as big as the Estes Saturn V.

      Delete
  2. The orange stripes on the Estes kit were also of the peel and stick type, so the way you're doing them is actually more true to the original than painting them would be. Looks fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim,
      I didn't know the orange stripes were peel and stick! I'm closer to it than I planned.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Jesus

    ReplyDelete