Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Estes Mercury Redstone #1921 Build, Part 3, Fins B



I used white glue to laminate the main fin halves. Why don't I use yellow wood glue? White glue holds fine.
TIP: Too much glue and things get slippery! You don't want to have the fin sides slip when set under a weight for drying.
Squeeze the bottle and set down some glue. Quit squeezing the bottle and use the nozzle tip to spread out the glue over the surface.


Before setting the fins under a weight (or in a heavy book) be sure the two pieces are in line. I lined them up against the sanding block down the root edges.


After the glue dried overnight, the outside edges were sanded square.
The picture shows the leading edge. After sanding you can see one side was a little high.
As long as the root edges are flat, this doesn't matter. all the outside edges were sanded flat and even.








To double check I used my machine square to make sure the sides were at a 90 degree angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment