Sunday, November 29, 2015

Estes Honest John, #7240 Build, Part 15, Fin Can Paint



Here's the fin mask for the red.
Each fin side took two separate pieces of Scotch tape because of the wedge taper. Even the bottom of the body below the fin was masked, the trailing edge is a little above the bottom.


I'm building two HoJos, on one - Uh, oh!
The plastic tail cone was too slick and some white paint was lifted.
Be sure to lightly rough up the plastic so the paint has something to grab.
I'll have to sand this, mask and shoot primer and sand that smooth. then more white and red if needed.


The other fin can turned out fine.
This one is up for auction on Ebay right now.








After the red had dried, the black was next.
This is after the black paint was shot, before the mask was pulled up.



After the black mask was lifted I have a small touch up along the red fin root edge.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,
    I hope you'll forgive my saying so, but I get a certain amount of guilty satisfaction when I see you encounter paint problems, even minor ones like this. It makes me feel (slightly) less bad about the endless parade of boneheaded finishing foul-ups that seem to plague my builds. Sort of like seeing Tiger Woods duff a shot on TV.

    Really enjoying this build, though I don't know when/if I'll feel motivated to attack those fins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      That's one reason why I post the blunders, peels and lifts. Everybody has the same paint problems. Hopefully it'll remind me (and help other builders) to lightly rough up the plastic fin can so the paint will adhere when the tape is pulled off!
      One good thing, finishes will (hopefully) get better with experience.

      Delete