Sunday, November 1, 2015

Estes QCC Explorer Build Part 19, First White Paint Coat

The areas under the front of the intakes are very hard to get smooth.
It's tough enough to get fillets in there.
I used Titebond M&TG for the fillets. You can sand this glue easier than a white glue fillet.

After the first gloss white was shot, some 400 grit was wrapped around a Q-tip for cushioned sanding. I was able to get into the small inside area and do some smooth sanding.

Here's how the intake areas looked after sanding, before the final white coats were sprayed.
Enlarge the picture to see how much of the glue boogers were sanded down.

2 comments:

  1. How long do you wait before sanding the Rusto 2X? Waiting for the stuff to dry drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      The first coat seems to take at least 2 days to dry before sanding like I showed in this blog post. Follow up coats take much less time. That's my experience anyway. Drying time depends on how much you spray on and humidity.
      I sprayed a plastic Estes Honest John nose cone yesterday at 10 a.m. Today at 10 a.m. it is still sticky. I'll probably be able to sand tomorrow. Plastic takes longer to dry. The paint tends to soak in a little on wood and cardboard tubes.

      Delete