Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Estes Quinstar #7241 Build, Part 10, Undercoat and Red Paint



The assembled model was hit with a light coat of gloss white. I wanted to use Rusto Red Metallic. It's a bit transparent and would need the white underneath it.

I thought I might get by with Titebond M&TG fillets on just the upper part of the model. But, the bottom areas really showed the open joints and seams.
I went back and added more fillets to the lower half.

Most all the surfaces got a light sanding before the red was shot.

All the flat upper surfaces were filled for three reasons.
The upper flats are the most visible on the finished model.
There would be less drag without adding much weight.
The decals would adhere better to the smoother surfaces.



TIP: Set the decals on the model (still on the backing) before soaking to get an idea how they will be centered.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice final product. Did you have a particular sequence and/or technique for shooting paint into all the nooks and crannies? This is something that often trips me up; I get the paint in but end up with all kinds of runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      No special painting sequence on the Quinstar. I concentrated most on the upper surfaces. I shot the sides too but didn't try to get paint inside the cage.

      Delete